Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Moccasin that I can only wear in my bed

I received Moccasins sewn by Tim—the Red man in white skin. My Moccasins is a sturdy slipper-shaped type of shoe. One day, Tim handed me a piece of paper and asked me to draw my feet. I was perplexed. I did not know what to do or what he meant. He explained that because his grandmother appeared in his dream and told him to make Moccasins for me. They need to be the right size and that will be only for me. His grandmother told him right-size the Moccasins would protect my journey and my dream for bringing worldwide peace and making oneness. He made my Moccasins using three different leather pieces from Moose, Buffalo, and Elk. My Moccasins are decorated with beads and two dream catchers, containing 108 beads stitched together with sinew made of soft leather.

The Sole/bottom was made of moose leather. A good thick piece of moose leather for the sole was used because of its characteristic of the heaviest leather. As the largest member of deer family, Moose is the symbol of self-esteem in Native American cultures. Found in the north of medicine wheel, Moose is representing the place of wisdom. Self-esteem and wisdom are to carry to fulfill my dreams.

The Upper/top was made of buffalo leather. Buffalo is the symbol of prayer and abundance. Traditional Native American considers white buffalo as the most sacred one because they believed that buffalo would hear the prayer and help in fulfilling the dream and promises. Buffalo leather would help me carry out my dreams for better future for our children.

The Tongue/side was made of elk leather. Native American considers Elk as not the first one to arrive at goal, but their steadiness gives strong stamina. They can keep going without getting burned out. Native American believes Elk honor the company of others and work together as brotherhood and sisterhood as team. This could help me to look at how I am holding up physically to the stress in my life and to pace myself to maintain equilibrium of energy over the distance I plan to cover. Also this could help me to work with others to achieve my goals and dreams.

There are two gifts I have received in my life that I want to bring to my grave because I treasure them above all else; one is from my student who made 1000 origami—10 per day for 100 days to express her appreciation for me being her angel teacher, and the other is my moccasins given by Tim, which contains the spirit of the Red man in white skin. I would carry both of them until I end my life here on this planet. Therefore, for my moccasins, I can’t wear them, but only in my bed so that I can preserve better and longer.

My Moccasins are decorated with beads and two dream catchers. Dream catchers are surrounded by spider web, which would filter all the contamination and corruptions. My dream will come true only by going through the hole of the two dream catchers.

My Moccasins embroidered with beads embody my dream of building my memorial park which contains four columns representing four seasons and four directions: the color of harvesting red, sprouting yellow, searing black, and snowing white. Those columns will be connected by a path with arrows that direct people to walk in a clockwise direction, like summer leading to fall and winter then back to spring. Those were repeated 54 beads at each Moccasin, total of 108 beads. In Eastern culture, the number of 108 represents covering all of our emotions connecting past, present and future.

The hard-sole of my Moccasin will provide me with pleasant smoothness and warmth as well as less stimulation of good foot circulation. In my sleep, I feel the leather moccasins added comfort and protection.

As Native American wore moccasins to protect their wearer's feet from sharp rocks and cacti while they were hunting, I wear my moccasins to protect my feet from corruptions and contaminations while I am working to fulfill my dream. 

Thank you Tim for the lovely gift, my Moccasins!

No comments:

Post a Comment