Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Garlic Planting

I am a garlic lover. I use in most of my cooking. I sometimes eat raw garlic. I love garlic leaves as well.


I love to watch them grow! Early early Spring, garlic was the first one to say “Hello” to me, which means they survive the harsh winter under the many inches of snow. I like their strength. I like their tendency to survive. One thing I noticed through garlic planting was that garlic’s survival and their power of survival strength made the root of garlic to suck all the nutritional values from the soil. So they become tough and rigid because of hardship and because of its survival tendency. It reminds me of my grandmother who lived in hope through violence and many wars.

My grandmother became smarter and smarter with determination and wisdoms because of hardship and suffering.
My garlic became stronger and stronger with determination and survival tendency because of hardship and suffering.

Step 1:  Prepare soil for the garlic. Garlic will grow well in full sun with good drainage and moisture retention. Add lots of organic matter. I have been practicing making my won compost to improve the soil and build up the soil with green manure cover crops. Before planting, we need to make sure to get all amendments into the soil.
Thanks for the earth to give me a chance to feel how the earth feels!

Step 2: Planting Garlic. Plant garlic in single or double rows or in intensive beds with five to six plants across with six inches between plants in rows 12 to 18 inches apart. Thank you for my hands and feet to be able to dig up the soil. 


Step 3: Cracking. Shortly before planting, we can break (or crack) the bulbs apart into cloves. Make sure that each clove should break away cleanly and the cloves are attached to the basal plate when you crack the bulb.   Thank you, garlic bulbs, for coming into my life.  I would like to take care of you well so that you can have second chance.


Step 4: Set unpeeled cloves, pointy end up, plant only the largest cloves from the bulb. five to six plants across with six inches between plants in rows 12 to 18 inches apart.  Add compost and mulch to retain moisture and deter weeds. Make sure to have the ideal combination of fertility, good drainage and moisture retention.




This is seven monthes later.  Thank you for growing well in my garden.  Thank you for sharing your jouney with me.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment